Re: Edwards drops out of presidential race
Re: Edwards drops out of presidential race
Do you really believe the situation is any better than that?
Re: Edwards drops out of presidential race
Re: Edwards drops out of presidential race
Any period of time in the last 100 years except the depression...and that isn't far down the road for us either.
Re: Edwards drops out of presidential race
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotSoSilentBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sup-rbeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">cuz really it's as bad now as it has ever been in the past century... </div></div>
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/images...ghinghard1.gif http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/images...ghinghard1.gifhttp://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/images...ghinghard1.gifhttp://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/images...ghinghard1.gifhttp://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/images...ghinghard1.gifhttp://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/images...ghinghard1.gif
Do you really believe the shiz coming out of your mouth? </div></div>
Heard to many storys about the Great Deperesion from my grandparents to think twice about things being worse today.
And as much as I HATE the price at the gas Pump at least there are not lines a mile long to fill up on you alotted day.
Re: Edwards drops out of presidential race
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sup-rbeast</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any period of time in the last 100 years except the depression...</div></div>
77-80 ring a bell?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and that isn't far down the road for us either. </div></div>
http://www.getphpbb.com/phpbb/images...n_rolleyes.gif
Re: Edwards drops out of presidential race
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotSoSilentBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=sup-rbeast]Any period of time in the last 100 years except the depression...</div></div>
77-80 ring a bell?
That period don't count it was a dem in office.
Re: Edwards drops out of presidential race
I for sure don't remember the great depression, but I do remember the oil embargo of 1973 and the economic mess it caused for the country. But we weren't nearly as dependent then on foreign oil as we are now. I remember not being able to buy gas on certain days if your tag # ended in and odd number/or even number. And then, I believe, you could only buy 5 bucks worth at a time then. Of course 5 dollars would buy a lot more gas then than it would now, actually would almost fill a tank on certain cars.
I, too, have heard the countless stories of how hard the depression was on families and yes, I do believe we are headed down the same path. My concern is that whoever wins the presidency, I am afraid they will become "the scapegoat" that Taft became when the market crashed in 1929. The truth about the crash of '29 is that it had already started its down-turn when Taft took office. His problem was that he trusted too many economists who said it was only a "correction" and that it would be ok. The problem with that was that Hitler and the Nazi's had already begun to make their move on Europe. The country had already faced a major correction in the marked years earlier.
In recent history, we have faced at least 2 market corrections, starting with the first one in I believe 1987 when the market dropped over 500 points in one day. That was a little over 20 years ago, just like the correction before the 1929 crash. It started then with the "savings and loan" industry and is starting now with the "sub-prime" mortgage industry. The only difference is the our money is insured by the government up to a certain amount unlike then when none of it was insured.
Re: Edwards drops out of presidential race
I thought Hoover was president in '29.
Re: Edwards drops out of presidential race
Edwards was never in the race to begin with. It just took him some time to realize it.